As we promised, here is the transcript of Pastor Smith’s (a pseudonym) recent sermon about “The Anointing.” We have some commentary that we’ll also post in an upcoming article, but for now, just read it for what it is. Yes, we’re aware that this is an extremely long post, but we’d really appreciate if you’d take the time to read the full transcript. And please, give us your feedback. How do YOU think Pastor Smith’s teaching lines up with the Bible?
The Anointing, by Pastor Smith
(1) Stand to our feet across the house. I want you to open your Bible into the book of I Samuel. I’m gonna read 3 scriptures I’m gonna read 3 scriptures to you, so if you can, be a little mobile today, if not, watch the screen, they’ll be on the screen.
(2) Uh, but in first Samuel, the tenth chapter, and the sixth and the seventh verses, and this is Samuel talking to Saul, “And the spirit of the Lord will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them and shalt be turned into another man, and let it be when these signs are come unto thee, that thou do as occasion serve thee, for God is with thee.”
(3) Now turn over a few chapters to the sixteenth chapter of first Samuel, now this is after, this is after David’s called out, his brothers are reviewed, and Samuel says basically, um, the king is not amongst them. They finally get David out of the shepherd’s field and the thirteenth verse says, “Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brethren and the spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.”
(4) And then flip over to the New Testament into the book of Acts, if you’d turn over to the book of Acts the tenth chapter and the thirty eighth verse. Acts the tenth chapter, the 38th verse. “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power, who went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed of the devil, for God was with him.”
(5) Father, anoint me today with this Holy Ghost, with this power of the Holy Spirit, Lord, that you have graciously released and bestowed upon our lives to do impossible things, and Lord I pray today that your people will have an ear to hear they will have a mind to perceive, they will have a heart to believe. And I declare, God, that the spiritual side of who we are will become awakened and stirred and ignited. And that we will leave this house today truly empowered by your presence and by your Spirit, in the name of Jesus, and everybody said amen. Amen!
(6) You may be seated. For the next few Sundays I’m gonna be preaching about the anointing. And I will be carrying over in different aspects and dynamics of it into the Wednesday night as well. So, Sunday morning and Wednesday nights I’m going to be really digging in to the subject of the anointing.
(7) Most of you realize I wrote a book a few years back entitled, “[Book Title].” I’m sure all of you have a copy of it, or several copies of it, uh…yes, I’m “sure” about that. Ah, I wish you all had a copy of it, uh, but even if you’ve read the book, ah, there’s so much when I get into preaching something that I can bring out and it also brings a quickening into your spirit. Uh, one of the things that I think begins to happen when I taught on this originally years ago, we weren’t even at this location, we were at the [street name] property, something really begin to ignite within the church, uh, because revelation really begin to come upon them about what it was to be anointed, who was anointed, what we’re anointed for. Uh, the different dynamics and aspects of the anointing.
(8) Most people really do not understand as I would say the height, depth, and breadth of what it means to be an anointed vessel. When the Lord says in Acts the tenth chapter how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth. When Jesus said, and now I’ll refer to it a little bit later in the message as well, in the fourth chapter of Luke the 18th verse, said, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has ANOINTED me.” How many believe that anointing is a vital part of the texture of Scripture? Now, what I want to – you to – let me lay some groundwork today. I think there’s one thing that we begin to understand is, I’m gonna talk to you today very strongly about what the anointing IS. Now a lot of times, in Sss – in – with Scriptural things that we use the term – How many know this term a lot, at least in our church? And we talk about the anointing. We talk about the presence of God. We talk about the power of God. We talk about these things quite frequently, and sometimes, uh, there’s a multiplicity of…interpretation and definition. And I wanna bring some clarification to what it means to be anointed.
(9) Well one of the things I wanna maybe approach you on is why on earth do we even WANT to be anointed. You know, why should we have any hungering or any thirsting to WANT to have as…when it says, “The Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.” It said, “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power, and He went about healing all that were oppressed of the devil.” And, uh, what, one of the things that I want to get into you today is to trigger in you a hungering and a thirsting to be an anointed vessel.
(10) Now, how many understand, we have all of our abilities, we have all that God has, in a sense, gifted us with, and we can navigate and move through life through what our natural mind can help us understand, what our natural abilities can help us produce. But how many believe that when God really shows up in the middle of everything that we’re putting our hands to do, that things can become dramatically more impacting? How many believe that your life can make a greater difference under the empowering presence of God? How many believe you can do things…it says Saul was turned into another man. It was like, you might say, the anointing did for him – I think Rod Parsley put it this way, said, “The anointing did for him what a phone booth did for Clark Kent.”
(11) And you know, when you stop and think about it, if you just wanna continue to kinda operate in your Clark Kent mode and you just doing what you have the ability to do, or what the world has told you, and this is how far you can go, this is how much you can accomplish, this is how much favor you can have, this is how much you can sell, this is how much you can earn, this is how much influence you can have, this is the impact you can make. If you wanna just operate in the sphere or the box of where your flesh can take you, that’s fine. But if you really want to bust the walls out of the box, you might say, if you want to really rise up and say, “I believe I can get more done than what I oughtta be able to get done, I believe I should accomplish more than what my education tells me I can accomplish, my experience tells me I can accomplish,” then you’re gonna have to rise up and say, “Lord, I need to be anointed, I need to have something upon my life that empowers me to do great things.
(12) Now how many believe you’re saved for MORE than just getting’ to heaven? Wuh, no, I, no, I got about half of you on that. I said, how many believe you’re saved for MORE than just getting to heaven? This is important to me because a lot of Christians look at this as, “OK, I’m, I’m a believer, I’m gonna die, I’m gonna get to heaven, and that’s the, the heighth and depth and breadth of. But how many believe the Word said, “He that believeth in me, the works that I do you shall be able to do also and greater works than these shall you do.” It said, “He that believeth in me, as the Scriptures sayeth, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.”
(13) What is it that transforms a teenager in the shepherd field into somebody that could be the most influential king in the history of Israel? What is it that takes a man named Jesus and puts the power of God on him so strongly that everybody he prayed for, every oppressed person that he ministered to was delivered, everywhere that he went, miraculous things happened? What happens when you take a young man named Oral Roberts who was dying of tuberculosis, uh, had a speech impediment and the power of God come upon him, heals his disease, heals his speech impediment, and has right now over one million documented healings that were medically proven and verified to be exactly what was said. They were healed by the power of God. What happens to a person to be able to take them from one place and then everybody’s sayin, all you’re gonna do is die, and if you live, you’ll never make an impact, and turn them into somebody that changes the world around them. It’s not your I.Q., it’s not the ivy league college you went to, it’s the anointing of God.
(14) I think at our, in our, um, that our efforts to accomplish things a lot of times, we do take God out of the equation way too much. Ah, then again, I’m just trying to, trying to get you in the same zone where I’m at with this right now. When you, uh, when you think about this, we look at God helping us in the sense of, OK Lord, you know, kinda show up, and help me make the right decision and help me do the right things, but you know, it – I’m talking about more than this. I’m talking about when what is happening should of never even had the potential of happening – David should of never had the potential of being the king. Are you with me? Elijah or Elisha, just regular guys.
(15) And this is this thing, we create all of this mystical mystery about the Bible and the people that are in the Bible, I believe part of the reason they are written about is because they’re just REGULAR guys. Joseph was a 17-year-old kid, and the Spirit of the Lord gave him a dream and gave him a vision about his future and about his life. Jesus comes on the scene at 30 years of age and turns upside down. This is the thing that I, I wonder what people, they say, “Well, people just thought He was God, He wasn’t really God, you know it was just kind of uh, a folklore or something.” But you know the amazing thing, ladies and gentlemen, how could one man, how could one man completely turn the course of history upside down just in his flesh or his – there’s been a lot of good teachers on the scene, there’s been a lot of people that have prophetic insight on the scene, there’s been a lot of people that drew a crowd, that crossed the pathways of this world, but why did Jesus flip the world upside down? Because the Spirit of God was upon Him![Crowd claps, you hear one amen.] (16) What is the anointing? Yuh, what IS the anointing? Now I think this is the, the first thing I wanna really delve into today. What, what IS it? What IS the anointing? Well, when you study it out, now in Charismatic Pentecostal circles, we, we talk about the empowering presence of God, which I don’t think is, is a bad terminology, uh, we talk about, now, when I, when I grew up in Pentecost, they called it the unction. Most of you don’t have any idea what the unction is. But, uh…the, kind of the unction was when you really FELT something. It’s kinda like you’re just standing there, and then you just [makes whooshing noise] FELT that. I know you don’t know what I’m talkin’ about, but. And, and you know, so people tell me, “So I’m anointed,” and how do you know, “Well, I felt it.” I’m not saying you don’t feel it. I mean when the presence of God comes upon me when I preach, I feel it. Uh, a glory, there’s a weight. The presence of God is real. And so when I’m talkin’ about being anointed, I’m not making fun of somebody that says, “Ooh, I felt that,” because I do feel it.
(17) When the presence of God comes on me to do whatever I’m doing, I feel and sense His presence. But it’s more than a feeling. I’m not hooked on a feeling, ladies and gentlemen, it’s more than a feeling. And it’s more than just an empowering presence, it’s more than just, say, the ability to pray for somebody that is sick, or somebody that is oppressed of the devil. There, there is much more to it than that. And that’s what I wanna begin to delve into, because what happens for those of you that are out there in the pews today, that work in the corporate world, for those of you that own businesses, for those of you that do a multiple of things, and it’s not necessarily leading praise and worship, or teaching a class or preaching the Gospel, but you’re out there in the front lines of the system of the world.
(18) And people think the only time the anointing comes upon a person is when they get in the pulpit. Or when Tommy sits up there and he begins to praise and worship and lead and the anointing comes on him, and then we feel the presence of God out there in the crowd as the glory of God begins to come into the house. See, what God does when He brings you in here, He wants you to experience His presence. He wants, He wants to cause His presence and His power to come upon you. He wants to charge your battery, He wants to encourage you, He wants to energize you so you can face the challenges that the circumstances of this life bring to you. But if you just think the anointing only operates within the four walls of the church, you’re kinda in that typical Charismatic mindset that when a man preaches, he feels the anointing of God, or when someone sings, they feel the anointing, or when someone’s in the prayer chamber they feel that power and presence of God.
(19) That’s why you gotta look at it beyond a feeling. Cuz there’s gonna be times when God won’t let the feeling hit you. You say, “What do you mean?” Now, when, when you’re trying to work in the corporate world, when you’re in a board of directors meeting, you don’t need to get up and say, “Whoo, I felt that!”
(20) They’re gonna be checkin’ your blood – they gonna – they’re gonna be taking samples of all sorts of things to find out what drug you say you’re not on. Are you, are you with me? No, sometimes you’re not gonna feel anything, but the anointing and the presence of God is gonna come upon you at different times and give you the mind to make the right choices, give you a discerning to know who is wrong and who is right, who is evil and who is good, who is deceiving or lying, because God wants you to be blessed, God wants you to succeed. And you are not gonna succeed in this world without the presence of God in a persistent constant operation in your life. It’s not just about praying for the sick. We have record that Joseph had no encounters in a healing line. We have no record of Joseph ever praying for one sick person that we know of in Scripture. But was Joseph anointed? He was probably the greatest prototype of an anointed lifestyle that we have in the Bible. But yet he never prayed for the sick, he never cast out a devil, but what he did do, he spoke the Word of the Lord. He had insight into the future, and he could run a company and a nation like nobody the world had ever seen.
(21) See, God wants anointing businessmen. God wants us to be anointed community leaders. God wants us to be anointed in real estate development. He wants us to be anointed in our electrical contracting businesses. He wants us to be anointed as lawyers, he wants us to be anointed as doctors, he wants us to be anointed in the construction field, he wants us to be anointed in the high tech world that’s out there. He wants you to be anointed in buying and selling. He wants you to be able to say that’s the one to buy and that’s the one to sell. He wants you to be anointed to have an understanding, “Don’t even go near that property, but buy that one as fast as you can.” He wants you to be anointed as you deal with your children. He wants the anointing on you as you deal with your spouse. He wants you to be able to help the hurting and the broken, the distressed and the hungry, and without His presence upon your life, your efforts are going to produce what every carnal effort produces. It will go as far as your natural man can take you. But when you step into that phone booth, you might say, and you come out different than when you went in, you will understand something. It will make more sense to you, when it says, “Greater is He that is in ME than He that is in the world.”
[Pauses for crowd to clap and cheer.]
(22) Anointing. Anointing is the transference or impartation of divine power and authority. Anointing is the transference or impartation of divine power and authority. Now if you are anointed, or when the anointing of God is released upon your life…there will be an impartation of power and there will be an impartation of authority. I’m gonna talk more about that in just a minute. It also declares that anointing is a bestowal of favor and an impartation of virtue and holiness.
(23) Now, let’s just talk about this for a few…Most people think of when a person is anointed, they have power. That’s part of it. The Bible says in the book of Romans, I believe it’s the 11th chapter and the 29th verse, it says, “The gifts and the calling of God are without repentance. Let’s stop there for just a second. It says, “The gifts and the callings of God are without repentance.” So how many would agree if it’s a gift, it came from God. And how many would agree if there’s a call on your life, it came from God. And basically, God says, if I release it, I’m not taking it back. I’m not sad that I spoke it, I’m not grieved over the fact that I declared it, and as long as you live on earth, you will have to live with the responsibility that you were called of God, and you’ll have to live with the responsibility that I put the gifting of the power in you to fulfill that call.
(24) See, a lot of people wanna say, I’m just not able to do it. If, if the Spirit of the Lord comes upon you, you can do anything God gives you to do. You may not do everything YOU wanna do, but you can do everything God gives you to do. So it said, “The gifts and the callings of God are without repentance.” So if you wanna change the wording in there just a little bit, you could also say, “The, uh, power and the authority of God are without repentance.” Authority and power are different. Power is the – is when the Spirit of God comes upon you and you pray for the sick or you pray and believe for a miraculous intervention. That’s the power of God upon a person’s life. Authority is much broader than that, authority has to do with call, authority has to do with your destination. Authority has to do with divine purpose. You have to be able to rule and reign. The Bible says you are kings and you are priests unto God and unto His father. If you’re a king, then you’re a captain over God’s inheritance. If you’re a spiritual king, then that means you operate in a certain realm in an authority.
(25) Now, what am I getting at with this? First of all we understand that somewhere in your life, there is an impartation that releases the power of God and if the power of God is released, it is connected to the authority of God. The gift, and the call. Everybody still with me? It’s funny when you get into this, everybody gives you that “deer in the headlights” look. When you start on it, you say, “Yeah I know all about that.”
(26) So when, when the anointing comes upon a person’s life, understand something, you don’t anoint yourself. You just don’t wake up and say, “OK, I’m anointed.” There’s an impartation. And I, and I think this is one of the reasons why the enemy works so hard to keep churches from laying hands on people. And, uh, you know, to be honest, uh, let me be just kind of candid here for just a moment, uh, uh, totally unlike my personality. Ah, the problem we got with most churches, is that they want a soul-ish relationship with their pastor. Now they say they don’t, but they really do, because if you don’t have enough pie and coffee with some folks, they not gonna stay. I don’t know why they want Marie Callender as their pastor. You know, they want Ronald McDonald, they want Marie Callender, they, they just – they want a buddy. They want a religious buddy. Uh, er, there’s plenty of people out here in the crowd that can be your religious buddy. But see, what begins to happen is people begin to crave a soul-ish relationship with somebody that is not raised up by God to be their buddy.
(27) Now it’s real quiet. And so [mimics a whining voice], “He won’t be my buddy! He’s distant!” Do you realize what it takes to do what I do? Do you realize what it takes to have a word that is broad enough to touch every person that comes through the door and not be impacted by what everybody in the crowd is dealing with and their issues? One of the hardest things about pasturing a smaller church is this: everybody wants to make sure you know all their stuff. So then if you preach, then somebody gets mad, because they say, “Yeah, he preached that because I told him that.” Well, the bigger this church gets, I don’t know much of anything but Christ and Him crucified. And people say, “Well, you’re distanced.” Well, maybe that distance isn’t so bad. Maybe that distance is the ability to be an anointer. Maybe what all of a sudden starts happening is you’re able to make an impartation into people’s lives because their expectation of you is not to be their buddy, but their expectation is that you can impart something into their life, that you can put your hand upon them and really not know everything about all their business, but you can, in faith, become a person of supernatural agreement to see breakthroughs come into their life. See, you don’t need another buddy. What you need is somebody who can make an impartation into your life. So what’s happened, though, what’s happened is people begin to come into church and they begin to come into environments, and they’re not hungering for the presence of God.
(28) Now we gonna get into this thing a little bit. They’re not hungering for the power of God, they’re not hungering to be the person they’re called to be. They’re just hungering to get something that’ll get ‘em through tomorrow. Well, you gotta understand something, the way to get through tomorrow is to have a vision of who you are, and if you know who you are, by prophetic utterance into your life, the devil can throw everything at you but the kitchen sink, as they would say, and you’ll rise up and say, “You know what, I’m gonna be who God says I’m gonna be. It doesn’t matter to me what you throw at me today, it doesn’t matter what the checking account says right now, it doesn’t matter certain relationships are doing, I know who I am, and I know what God wants to do with me, I know the authority that God wants me to walk in, and I know that to walk in that authority, I’m going to have to have the power of the Holy Ghost upon my life.”
[pauses for crowd to clap]
(29) Most churches don’t – what I would say on a corporate level – pray for people. Now I’m talkin’, we pray, but I’m talking about, PRAYING for people. When Samuel found David, he just didn’t say, “OK, David, you’re the next king of Israel, sha na na, go go go, well, ya ya ya, bye.” No, he took the vial of oil, he poured it over his head, he probably laid his hands upon him. Whatever transacted at that moment, it said the Spirit of God came upon David from that moment. See, every one of you need a divine encounter with the Spirit of God.
(30) Every one of you need a place, you need some place in your history that you go back to, and you say, “Right then and right there is when I turned into a different kind of person. Right then and right there is when I became that new creature that Paul wrote about. Right then and right there is when the burden got removed, the yoke got destroyed, the depression got broken, the cancer got healed, the spirit of suicide lifted off of me, wrath, rebellion, and disobedience broke off of my life. Right then and right there. I was at that altar, that man of God, that woman of God, put their hand on me, and the power of God hit me from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. Yes, but was there that big of a difference in David? Yes! In his natural ability he could kill a lion and he could kill a bear, but in his supernatural ability, he could bring down the arch-enemy of a nation. In your natural ability you can do certain things, but when the power of God comes upon you, you do impossible things!
[crowd cheers and claps]
(31) So, why, why do I spend so much time laying hands on people? I mean, and sometimes, I’m standing there saying, “Why am I doing this?” Because anointing is being imparted. Power is imparted. Why is it important for that touch of God to be upon you? Because as the power of God comes upon you and the revelation of the authority or the call of God upon your life is upon you, you will also understand that to get you to where God wants you to be, He will release favor on you. Now a lot of people just think, well, no matter – anything and everything I do, there’s gonna be favor to do it. I don’t particularly agree with that. I just think sometimes you can be just out there doing your thing, and you just might as well accept you’re out there doing your thing. And don’t expect any help from heaven. It’s your business. God has, God has ways of helping you work through that stuff. But when you are on a mission to possess what God has truly called you to do, I believe there will be that favor of God upon you to get you to where you’re going.
(32) Now sometimes I need help in the journey. Sometimes I need God to open a door that I can’t open. Sometimes I need God to give me an audience with somebody I couldn’t get. Sometimes I need God to give me favor to get things done quicker than what I, what they should normally be done. So when we see the hand of God upon Joseph, one of the things that we see dominantly operating in Joseph’s life was that he operated with favor. Now, what you have to understand, if you will understand that you’re anointed to be a businessperson, and if the career you’re in is the career that God, and the business that you’re in is the business that God has ordained for your life, then you can expect favor. You just shouldn’t expect favor if you’re gonna preach or teach.
(33) Uh, John [one of the front-row guys], you have a plumbing company, but you’ve also done a lot of work to help young men at uh, ah, the Riverdale Facility. You shouldn’t just expect favor if you’re gonna go up there and minister to those incarcerated teenagers. You should expect favor for God to help promote your plumbing company to be everything that God wants it to be, because He’s anointed you to be a businessman.
(34) You know, Dan [a front-row guy], you, you and Alice [Dan’s wife] – Alice is a doctor – you’re in real estate development, all those different things that you work in, you do so many things that I can’t keep up with you. But you should not just have an anticipation that the presence of God and the power of God and the favor of God is upon you when you’re here or if you’re doing something that is religious. You should have an anticipation that every time your wife walks through the door of her practice, God’s favor’s gonna be with her. Every time you walk through the doors of offices that you’re having to negotiate and work with people, that the favor of God should be – that for some reason, they’re lookin’ at you and saying, “I was gonna give this job to somebody else, or this deal to someone else, but I’m turning it over to you. That’s favor. You see that’s not you walkin’ in and selling yourself. That’s God selling you.
[a few cheers]
Aw, nobody heard that.
[More applause and cheers]
(35) It’s kinda like God, you know the Bible talks about that the Holy Ghost is your advocate, and all we think about is him representing us when we get into trouble. But you know, these athletes have agents. Aww, you don’t – it’s too early for some of you. I said, these athletes have agents. And, and, and, it’s not, uh, [quarterback’s name] going in there and negotiating with [team owner’s name], it’s his agent going in there, and that agent’s laying it all out, “You know the talent this boy has, you know the career he’s got in front of ya, you know the – blah blah blah,” and all of a sudden what’s happening? Favor is being released, it’s not coming out of the mouth of [quarterback’s name], it’s coming out of the mouth of his representative. You’ve gotta understand something, when God is with you and God is for you, God is with you and God is for you. And all of a sudden the Lord is causing to people to look at you different than you could have ever made them look at you.
(36) Get out of your Pentecostal persecution complex. Some of you think because you praise God and you talk in tongues and you believe God for miracles that the whole world is against you. That’s a lie out of the pit of hell. The greatest thing you’ve got working in your life is that the power and the presence of God is upon your life. Pray for wisdom. Don’t act and play the fool.
[applause and cheers]
(37) You don’t go into a business place and break out in a shimmy and shake. Whoo! Put on your garment of praise when it’s appropriate to put on your garment of praise. Put on your kingly robes when it’s appropriate to put on your kingly robes. Put your crown when you oughtta be acting like a king and then take the crown off when you just oughtta be a worshipper. Are you hearin’ what I’m sayin’? You need to learn how to rise up and understand how to operate in the different environments that God places you in. Sometimes it’s time to throw your hands up and shout unto the Lord with the voice of triumph. Other times it’s time to set down and let the mind of Christ and the wisdom of God and your tools and your gifts and your abilities be enhanced by the presence of God to where all of a sudden that person will say to you like Pharaoh did to Joseph and all that were around, “Can we find such a man in whom the Spirit of God dwells?” God can give you a favor that nothing else can give you!
[cheers and applause]
(38) Then it talks about – when you study anointing, then you understand that there’s two other key elements, that if a person is truly anointed, that will manifest in their life. And it’s the impartation and manifestation of virtue and holiness. Now y’all gonna check out on me. We are in a world today, that if we have ever needed people to rise up with character and integrity, it’s now.
[cheers and applause]
(39) Bill Clinton will never be known as a man of character. It’s not whether you like him or you don’t like him, he’s not gonna go down in history as being a man of virtue. He will go down in history as being one of the most brilliant politicians that ever lived. He will go down in history as being one of the most charismatic leaders that ever, ah, that ever rallied for things for his party, or rallied causes. He’s got a magnetic personality. He’s got a charismatic way about him. He, he has, he has abilities that are just second to none in the political realms. But I don’t believe history is going to remember him as a man of impeccable character. Because, he wasn’t. And barring a miracle, isn’t.
(40) He’s not running for anything, so don’t get uptight. I’m not gettin’ into politics…no way, this election! I’m just goin’ preach Jesus all through the election.
(41) Now, hold on. But when a person is anointed, there is going to be something that goes into them. They’re gonna hunger for it. And it is going to be manifested out of them, and it’s integrity. And then the other side of it is holiness. Now, your virtue, if you’re anointed, virtue that’s in your life is going to affect the world around you. If you’re a person of integrity, even criminals will wanna be around you. I brought this out before – when – it’s an amazing thing that some people can be a thief and be a liar and be a betrayer and have people working for them that, as long as they lie and steal from other people it’s OK, but when it comes to their relationship, they’d better be integrous.
(42) It’s very confusing. But see, there’s something inside of a person, if they bring a person close to them, they want integrity in that person. Excuse me. They could marry somebody that was a prostitute, but when they get married, they expect them to be virtuous. Doesn’t make any sense, but they expect it, because when you bring somebody into the closeness of who you are, you have a heartfelt expectation for virtue and for character. Because there’s something in your heart that cries out for that which is akin to God’s nature. I don’t believe you guys want liars as your confidants. I don’t believe you want embezzlers as your account manager. You say, “Well that’s just good common sense.” Yeah, it is good common sense, “Let this mind be in you which is in Christ.” But see, the thing is, when the anointing begins to operate in your life, all of a sudden virtue becomes a part of who you are. The more you press in to the presence of God, the more God will break those old tendencies that were eroding your walk with Him.
(43) Now listen to me about this. When Bill Hybels, who pastors one of the largest churches in the United States, at one time Willow Creek was the largest in the United States, thousands of people, and Hybels said this in his book called “Courageous Leadership.” He brought this subject up, he said, “I used to hire #1, that my #1 priority in making a hire was basically, do they have the ability to do the job? Do they have the education, do they have the experience, do they have the knowledge, do they have the skill set to do this job?” Now we’re talking about a church that has tens of thousands of people, so when you put somebody in charge of something, they better be able to carry the mail. And he said, “Do they have the skill set? And I learned through the journey of pasturing that I could teach a person how to do the job, but I could never teach at a leadership level how to be integrous.” Said, “My number 1 thing now when I hire is integrity.” And what you’re seeing here, is in more of a business way of communicating it, he said, “What I’m looking for is an anointed man.” Because if you’re an anointed man, the anointing will do what a class cannot do.
(44) The anointing of God, when the presence of God comes upon you, the presence of God will wake you up and begin to convict you of behaviors, will convict you of communications, will convict you of how you manage certain things and say, “This is not the way that the Lord would have you to do this.” And they can put you in a class, they could put you in a seminar, they can send you to a psychiatrist, they can do everything you can think of, and you can’t put that into a person. But when the presence of God comes upon a person, it begins to mortify the flesh, and when it begins to mortify the flesh, you’ll be awakened, and you will be convicted by the Holy Ghost by saying your actions are not integrous, your speech is not integrous, what you’re doing is not upright. You will get up and say, “God, help me, set me free from myself. I’ve seen this modeled year after year, and it’s a curse that’s been in my family, and I’m not going to buy into it, I am going to break free from this thing. If I give my word, my word is my bond. I will not color it with anything but accuracy. But my integrity is what I want to be remembered for. Now it says, we also understand when a person is anointed, there is an impartation and a manifestation of holiness.
(45) Now when there’s integrity, you will impact everybody around you, because you become a person that people can trust. But when you get into holiness, it is part of your relationship with God. The priesthood could not draw nigh to God. They had a golden plate that was across their chest that said, “Holiness unto the Lord.” Now we’re in a church situation in our culture that holiness is something people don’t even talk about anymore. Everything that seemed to represent integrity or righteousness has kinda been thrown under the bus. But what you’ve got to begin to see is that when you draw nigh unto God, God is expecting you to have a pure heart.
(46) That don’t mean you’re goin’ be perfect in everything. But it does mean you’re gonna hunger for it. Holiness and integrity are, are very very close and are very very similar. But integrity has more of, of, an aspect of how you work with the world around you. Holiness is that aspect of how you interact with God. Joseph did not say, “I cannot commit this sin against Potifer.” He said, “I cannot commit this sin against GOD.”
(47) When something inside of you said I can’t do this. And the reason I can’t do it is I will not jeopardize anything that has to do with my personal, intimate relationship with God. You say, “Pastor, I thought when you said we’re gonna teach on the anointing, boy you gonna swing on some chandeliers this morning.” I’ll get there in just a minute. But see, you’ve got to begin to understand that an anointing vessel…I’ve met a lot of people that have an unction or have some power of God in their life. But they would not open themselves to the full workings of the Holy Ghost. And because they wouldn’t do that, how many great leaders have we seen just in the last five years – over the last five months – uh, crash and burn. Did it do – did it have to do because they lost their gifts? Did it have to do because they lost their public appeal? That people weren’t still infatuated with them as communicators and uh, because they didn’t have a good message to share? No, it had to do with some things that go way down deep in here. Had to do with character. Had to do with holiness. It had…did, did they lose all their favor? Not really. But wha-, what happens, is that you’ve got to understand, if you’re anointed, the first evidence of being anointed is not gonna be if somebody gets healed or if somebody gets delivered, the first evidences of anointing is going to be you are modifying how you’re approaching God and how you’re approaching people. The rest of it’s not that hard. The battle zone is that inner anointing.
(48) Next week I’m gonna get into this real strong, cuz next week I wanna talk to you, and I touched on this a couple Wednesdays ago when I was teaching, I wanna talk to you about the spirit of God that comes upon you, and I wanna talk to you about the spirit of God that works within you. Now when you begin to understand something, that you don’t let the increo work within you, all the good you do will ultimately be evil spoken of. Because God is simultaneously working with you. He’s working on your character, he is working on your hungering and thirsting for the presence of God. I get almost ill when I hear things about how certain people have handled and conducted themselves in the work of ministry and leadership, and sometimes you guys look at me like, Pastor, you’re hard on folks. I’m, I’m trying not to be, because I know we’re all flesh and blood, we’ve all sinned, we’ve all come short of the glory of God, but I see when a person, ah, when the holiness of God and when the integrity of God becomes secondary, or not even, not even an issue anymore. When, when I hear about people who just, ending, born again, Spirit-filled leaders ending marriages, uh, just because they’re going in different directions…
(49) Excuse me, it’s not I don’t like folks, but after awhile, somebody’s direction’s gotta be submitted to the purpose of God, because if God puts people together, he doesn’t put ‘em together to rip ‘em apart.
(50) “We just goin’ in different directions.” Well, if you’re going in different directions somebody’s goin’ in the wrong direction, because if God makes two people one, somewhere we get yoked together and if you yoke oxen together, they gonna have to pull in the same direction. So somebody’s will’s gotta die, somebody’s purpose has gotta die, and the will of the Father’s gotta be submitted. People will say, “Well, I still felt the presence when they pr – spoke.” You probably will because the gift is without repentence, but you still have to understand, if a person has yielded their life to the anointing, you’d better realize this, there will be the evidence of that in holiness, and there will be the evidence of that in integrity.
(51) I know this is just real down home, this is not – this is not real theatrical today. But what I want you begin to understand. I want to have an anointed church. Did you hear me? I said I wanna have an anointed church. I want anointed people IN my church. And to have anointed people IN my church, then they oughtta have power. But they also should be possessing and fulfilling their call. But there should be evidence, if they’re out there in the business place, there oughtta be favor. And the favor is really gonna be released because you let the integrity of God manifest through your life, and people don’t understand why they trust you so much because it’s God going before you and putting a magnifying glass upon the heart of integrity and the spirit of holiness that’s upon you, and then they’re saying, “I don’t know why, you don’t have the resume, this other guy does, but I feel SAFE around you.”
(52) Don’t kid yourself. It doesn’t matter what business you’re in, it doesn’t matter if you’re in a restaurant, you’re working in the tech field, it doesn’t matter what company it is, guys that are at the head of companies want people under them that are trustworthy. Want people under them that will keep their word. Want people under them that when they look at them and they give them tasks, they can say, “I know you’re gonna fulfill the task, and if I turn my back and walk away, you’re not gonna be stabbing me in the back or stealing outta my cash register.” They want that. Where does that come from? That comes from integrity. Where does integrity really come from? The nature of God. How is it brought out of a man? When the presence of God is upon a person, that presence of God DEMANDS that you walk in that and that you move in that!
(53) I’ve been confronted with situations throughout my life and my ministry, and it probably would have been to my economic advantage and to my advantage of notoriety through the years to do things differently than maybe how I did ‘em. But the thing is, when I lay down my head at night, I know I did it the way that God wanted me to do it. And so however high God wants to take me, that’s how high I go. And if He don’t want me up that high, that’s fine, because sometimes people get themselves up into a place that they can’t maintain the place once they get there they come crashing back down. I just a soon go where God takes me. Cause if I go where God takes me, He will never leave me and He will never forsake me. If I go where God takes me, I can rise up and know I will have favor every step of the way. If I go where God takes me, then my holiness or my approach TO God, or my walking into the presence of God does not become compromised. If I go where God wants me to go, then my integrity stays intact. The power will be there. The call will be fulfilled, because the inner anointing is breaking me day by day.
[audience responds with “amens”]
(54) So anointing is more than power. OK, hear me, I said anointing is more than power. Anointing – number one, everybody say, “Impartation.” [Crowd responds, says, “Impartation.”] Understand anointing has to do with impartation. This is why you cannot cultivate a more powerful walk in God in a dead church.
(55) Cuz there’s nothing to impart. What’s Tiger Woods gonna learn from me in golf? What NOT to do? [Crowd laughs.] What could I teach Todd Helton about batting? What could I teach Michael Jordan about a jump shot? Nothing! So why – he wouldn’t hang around me for sports advice. “No, Michael, do it this way. Do it like this, Mike.” Huh, good Lord. “Now, let me show you how to hit that ball, Tiger.” Y’all are laughing about that, but do you realize, people, that in their heart they say, “I really wanna be all that God wants me to be,” set in DEAD spiritual environments with PEOPLE that all they’re doing is working through it up here. I’ll tell you something, I you want an impartation, you better get around somebody that’s HAD an impartation.
(56) If you want something poured INTO your life, you’d better get around somebody that has something IN their life. Now people, people are saying, “While the day of the, of the church, the day of what we call the church, is, is passing. Barna wrote a book, I haven’t, I, ah, I won’t – I’m not GONNA read it, cause I’ll get upset, because it’s like, because of all the negative things that have happened, now everybody’s just saying, “I’ll just get some friends and we’ll set around and we’ll talk about the Bible at home.” OK now, just stop and think about this principle. Just put it into a sports analogy. So you get me and Ralph [another front-row person] and John [yet another front-row guy] setting around, trying to teach each other how to be great golfers.
(57) Now we’ll even bring Reggie [another guy in the crowd] in to help us. We’ll bring Reggie in, and we will have a foursome on how to be great golfers. And none of us really know enough to be above average. If I shoot in the 70s, I’m waiting on the rapture to take place, cause I know heaven has just kissed earth. I’ve broke 80, but it doesn’t happen every time I go out. I’m a 10, 12 handicapper, shootin’ in the mid 80s, I’m pretty content, and that’s just about the way it is. But we could get all our greatness together, Ralph, and we could combine all of our brilliance on the golf course, and all of us go out on the golf course and be as mediocre as we’ve ever been. But you bring one person into the group that’s the real deal, that every time they go out, they’re playin’ at a level [snaps fingers]…
(58) Ladies, just stay with me, I don’t know how to make this a shopping analogy, but I’ll think about it.
(59) But – but you bring one guy into the group, one guy, one guy, that, that shoots 70 and under most of the time, and all of a sudden, he looks at Ralph, and he says, “Ralph, here’s what you doin’ wrong, this is why you always end up in the woods, Ralph, this is why you never get out of the sand trap, this is why you miss all the key putts. All of a sudden – and Ralph starts making adjustments – and what happens? His game comes up.
(60) Now I can’t take his game up, cause I’m right where he’s at. But one person comes on the scene that’s operating at a different level. So what does God do? God says, “You know what, I’m gonna anoint some people, and I’m gonna empower ‘em, I’m gonna put something in ‘em that is worth imparting, and I am gonna bring a flock underneath ‘em, and as they begin to impart, something begins to happen. What happens? You start coming up to another level, you don’t wallow in mediocrity, you don’t wallow in the…I don’t know what to do about that, I don’t know how to get over that hump, boy that’s a tough one. No, no, no, no, no, all of the sudden, you’re saying, “Wait a minute, I can win this battle. Wait a minute, I can do greater things than what I’m doing. Wait a minute, I move up to a higher place.” Why? Because somebody is speaking that has something to impart. Somebody is imparting something that will remove burdens and will destroy yokes. And what we need, we need an anointed church. And to have an anointed church, you have to have anointed leadership. To have anointed leadership, you have to have a people that are hungering for not an emotional connection, but they’re hungering for a spiritual connection.
(61) And I look at our people, I got so many wonderful people at this church, but I still wanna say this. Dan, I’d rather be your pastor than your buddy. Reggie, I would rather be your pastor than to be your golf partner. You say what are you getting’ at. Because, if you can touch somebody’s spirit, they will be turned into another man. And someday they’ll look down the road and say, “Wait a minute, my business is off the Richter Scale, my success in the things of God, and they’ll look back, and what will they say? Who made the transfer, who made the impartation, who was the vessel that emptied themselves out, that helped me to rise up and be who God anointed me to be? It wasn’t my pie-eatin’ buddy, it was the man that said, “I am anointed to bring about transformation!”
Oh, somebody better praise God!!
[Crowd cheers, claps enthusiastically]
Come on and bless Him, come on and bless Him!
(62) Stand to your feet all over the house. [Piano music begins to play softly in the background.] David had the indebted, the distressed, and the discontented that gathered themselves under him, and it was before he became all that God had truly called him to be. But when it was all done, every one of those men became those that were known as “David’s Mighty Men.” They became great warriors, they became financial successes. They become leaders and influencers. Why? Because what was on David, that got on him, in the 16th chapter of the book of First Samuel, what got on him, he emptied out to them. They loved him, they respected him, they drew from him, they got an impartation from him. Was David perfect? Far from it. Did David make mistakes? Yes. But David always knew [soft organ music begins to accent the piano] – see, this is the working of the anointing – David commits adultery. You say, “Was that right?” Far from it. God was angry at David, He sent Nathan to him. Nathan spoke words of judgment. Basically, “God’s gonna take you out, David.” And David fell on his face, and basically, the famous Psalm, where it says, “Take anything you wanna take, but don’t take your Spirit. Create in me a clean heart, renew a right spirit.”
(63) We’re a society of justification. Sometimes you just gotta get on your face before God and say, “God, I’ve sinned, I was wrong. But I want my relationship right with you.” Sometimes we make mistakes in the journey, some of them are not just mistakes, they’re just out and out sins. [Other instruments join the music] Maybe it has to do with how we deal with other people. Integrity issues. But see, when the anointing is working on you, you won’t be able to sleep at night, cuz God’ll convict you of that stuff. How many of you ever have the Lord keep you awake because of how you dealt with somebody, what you said to somebody, how you handled a business issue? It – it keeps working on you. Well as he keeps that part of you intact, then praying for the sick, or operating in the power and authority of the anointing is not a big deal, it’s not that hard, but see somewhere, somebody, there’s gotta be something emptying into you, something pouring into you. I wish I could just get up here and preach a real easy word to you and just say, “You know, just work it out, folks, you know.”
(64) Different people have different calls. Some people, the only thing they ever say is a word of encouragement and hey, you’re OK and everything’s wonderful. Well sometimes you just need to be real about some stuff. I’ve tried to encourage my sons through their entire lives, but there’s been a few times they’ve gotten pretty strong rebukes from me. A few times they got hands laid on ‘em. You know, parenting is not just telling your kid they’re cute. You know sometimes you say you’re cute, but you’ve been real bad. You bring ‘em into order. And pastoring is a lot like parenting. And a lot of times, you say, you know, y’all are real cute, but some of y’all been real bad. And you need to bring it into line with God.
(65) So over the next few Sundays, I want – I wanna talk to you again what the anointing is, why we need the anointing. I wanna talk to you about the different dimensions of the anointing. I wanna talk to you about the inner anointing for you. I wanna talk to you about the anointing upon you for others. And I wanna talk to you about one thing. If the anointing is working in your life, it will keep the burdens removed and it’ll keep the yokes destroyed. How many wanna stay free?
(66) Let me give you this, and this will be our bridge to next week. Why should you want to be anointed? Number one, for personal freedom. Everybody say, personal freedom. [Crowd repeats upon command.] You wanna be anointed for the issue of personal freedom. Number two, you wanna be anointed because you want to impact other people through your integrity, through your ability to pray for the sick, number two, you wanna impact the world around you. And then number three, it is the only resource you have that will enable you to fulfill your destiny. You will never fulfill your divine purpose unless you really hunger for that empowering presence of God to be upon your life. Those are the three reasons you should hunger for it and seek it and press in.
(67) You shouldn’t look at somebody wanting to pray for people and say, “Oh Lord, they’re gonna pray for folk.” If [guest evangelist’s name] wants to pray for you, you oughtta get your head under his hand. If I wanna pray for you, you oughtta get your head under my hand. It creates more work for me, but you can’t be anointed unless there’s an anointer. How GOD anointed Jesus of Nazareth. Samuel anointed David, Samuel anointed Saul. Elijah anointed Elisha, the priesthood was anointed. And God is trying to show us something. It is an issue of impartation.
(68) You can’t get from somebody what they don’t have. Did you hear me? You can’t learn how to be a great golfer from me. I don’t have it. You can’t learn to be a great baseball hitter from me. I don’t have it. But there’s guys out there that do. And if you want to learn how to rise up and be one that will put the enemy to flight, I can teach you that. If you wanna learn how to bust through barriers, I can teach you that. If you wanna learn how to live through some stuff that oughtta’ve killed you, I can show you how to do that. You know why? It’s been part of my journey, that I have been anointed and empowered to pour that out.