Over here at Charismania, we’ve decided that we probably aren’t alone in what we’ve gone through. Just from some of the comments y’all have left, we’re coming to realize that there must be LOTS of other interesting “Charismaniac” stories out there.
So, we are throwing out a special “Charismania Challenge.” Send us an email and tell us about YOUR journey into, through, and out of “Charismania.” We’ll post the stories that seem relevant to our discussion.
Some possible questions to consider, to get your creative juices flowing:
- How did you end up in your charismatic church?
- When did you first sense that something wasn’t quite right?
- What was it? A particular teaching from the pulpit? Something that happened between you and other church people? Something that the pastor did?
- How did you deal with your questions about the ministry? Did you leave immediately? Was there anyone to talk to about your concerns? How long did you remain in your charismatic church despite these issues?
- How did you find the strength to leave? Was there a “tipping point,” an event or experience that suddenly opened your eyes and motivated you to leave? Or was it more of a gradual process?
- Did you go through any of the same experiences that we’ve discussed in this blog? What were they? What common themes have you noticed between what you went through and our story?
- How did your church friends or acquaintances react upon the news of your leaving?
- How have you coped in the aftermath?
These are just a few suggestions. We’re sure that you guys can get even more creative.
And a couple of other things to note:
- Please, DO NOT USE REAL NAMES! We will not publish your story if we can easily figure out which church or ministry or pastor you are talking about. This site does not exist to embarrass anyone or “take down” preachers.
- That being said, feel free to make your story as detailed as possible. The more details you include, the more interesting it will be.
- We will reserve the right to edit stories for such things as length, clarity, grammar, and so forth.
Ready to get writing? Good! Send your emails to charismaniablog(at)yahoo(dot)com . We look forward to hearing from you.